Thursday, May 19, 2011

We Need Each Other

That beautiful hour had finally arrived, 5:00 p.m. Work was done!! Both snack and comfy couch beckoned for me to come home... but I didn't feel like it was time to go home yet. My boss's mother had been in the hospital for several days. Even though I planned on calling the hospital to pray with her mother, I knew God also wanted me to pray with my boss. Pray with her, the Lord said. No! I thought stubbornly. I didn't want the discomfort of being "spiritual" in the office. I didn't want to stay there any longer. I didn't want to try to come up with words to pray. My list of "I didn't's" kept growing as I walked awkwardly out the door and into the parking lot. The closer I got to my car, however, the greater the magnetic pull on my body towards the building. Something profound happened to me when I reached the door of the vehicle and stood there hesitantly. She needs you, Rachel. I heard that so clear. Go back and pray for her. The inward struggle continued as I got inside my car and started up the engine. My gaze fell past my hands on the steering wheel as I thought about those words. She needs me. How could I ignore those words? How could I go home knowing the Lord had asked me to do that? I took the key out of the ignition, got out of the car, and walked back inside. My boss was just walking out of the office and smiled at me, unaware of my intentions. "Hey, I know you've been going through a lot with your mom in the hospital and the changes here at work. Can I pray for you?" Instantly she started crying. Seeing her reaction was humbling... it awakened a greater understanding of just how much we need each other. It was also good practice in reaching beyond my comfort zone to share the love of God. Sometimes I don't listen when God speaks to me, but I was so glad I obeyed His voice that day. Know this: God is always speaking, we're just not always listening. Listen to Him. He wants to talk to you and use you to touch someone else's life today. And don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone! God is by your side. It's worth being a little uncomfortable to share the love of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment